Saturday, September 20, 2008

Internal Coruption

Although I have heard from drug dealers that there are police officers who are employed by the same people whom they (the dealers) are working for, I am yet to see any evidence or learn of anyone who is directly or indirectly involved in drugs, although I came very close to making a discovery. This fact makes me wonder if my inquisitiveness was not one of the reasons I was suspended and followed everywhere I went. However, when I arranged with a friend to purposely discuss this matter on my home phone, which was bugged, and I openly confessed, (in that telephone conversation that when I was speaking to the individual) that I was bluffing. It was only then that the person who ordered me followed chose to redirect the resources of the Bermuda Police Service.

Could it be that my inquiries and my interrogation of this noted drug pusher and suspected murderer made him nervous, to the point where he almost divulged confidential information which would have include naming members of the Bermuda Police Service who are on the pay role of a drug boss? Could it also be, that my interrogation of this noted drug pusher and suspected murderer made the officers who are on the pay role of this drug boss nervous that they had to have me closely monitored?

The Barbadian Mafia
There is also a close-knit Barbadian group that is known for working things out in their favor. This group has members of their inner circle strategically placed in key departments with direct instructions. They look out for the interest of the group and very often pervert the course of internal justice to protect their own. In other words, when members of the community or other officers make complaints against members of the inner circle, there reports have a tendency to die unnatural or coordinated deaths. But members outside this group are allowed to go through the process, their matters are investigative, and they are punished for their wrong doing. Not so for the closely knitted Barbadian group.

These types of behaviors affect the morale of not only the people against whom the injustice is inflicted but those people who have seen the injustice and have no hope for vindication for the individuals that have been wronged. Members of this group also ensure that their members get every opportunity to make more money than the average. Extra duties and overtime are detailed in favor of members of this group. If one examined the annual salaries of a uniform Barbadian officer you will notice the wide disparity when compared to other uniform officers.

On a few occasion I was assigned cases for which I carried out investigation into these matters: after the investigation, collection of the evidence, discussion with my supervisor, and after we have decided that prosecution of the offenders was the best course of action. (These decisions would have been arrived at after many requests by senior members of the service for me to compromise my integrity and aid in the miscarriage of justice ignoring my findings).

However, after I would have submitted the case file they never reach the Police Prosecutions Office or the director of the Public Prosecution Office. These case files just disappeared, my personal inquiries would have fall on deft ears. No one was ever concerned enough to investigate the movement and disappearance of the case files and why defendants were not prosecuted.

The unfortunate thing is that these activities are common in the Bermuda Police Service, but no one is willing to upset the status quo. It is hard to understand that people whose duty it is to aid in ensuring that justice is done instead aid and abet the direct opposite, depriving the general public of due process.
Study by: Allan H. F. Palmer